Monday, July 12, 2010

Book Review: Skinned by Robin Wasserman

Skinned (Gripping Trilogy Series) Author: Robin Wasserman
Release Date: September, 2008
Pages: Hardcover 368
Age Group: Young Adult
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing

Lia Kahn was perfect: rich, beautiful, popular – until the accident that nearly killed her. Now she has been downloaded into a new body that only looks human. Lia will never feel pain again, she will never age, and she can’t ever truly die. But she is also rejected by her friends, betrayed by her boyfriend, and alienated from her old life.

Forced to the fringes of society, Lia joins others like her. But they are looked at as freaks. They are hated...and feared. They are everything but human, and according to most people, this is the ultimate crime – for which they must pay the ultimate price. Summary from Barnes and Noble I really liked this story. It wasn't action packed and sometimes it felt a little slow but the overall story was good. I finished it a few days ago and I'm still thinking about it. It's a little, no a lot creepy to think about this situation. If your body was beyond saving would you want your memories saved and downloaded to a computer brain? At first I was adamant that I would not! However, Lia feels real to herself, she argues that she has free will, and that she still has emotions. So then I started thinking well maybe this wouldn't be so bad, but wait I'd be a computer? Like I said, lots of thinking to be done with this book. The post atomic war references were really interesting as well. So if you are looking for a great romance or lots of action you won't find it here, not that there isn't any it just isn't the main focus of this book. However if you want to think and speculate for a while then you can't go wrong with Skinned. I will definitely be reading the second book in this trilogy.

Robin Wasserman grew up in suburban Philadelphia. She went to college and majored in the history of science. She also edited children’s books. Robin is the author of the Seven Deadly Sins series, the Chasing Yesterday trilogy and Hacking Harvard. She lives in Brooklyn, New York.

7 comments:

  1. Love your blog! I found you through fangswandsandfairydust.com Pay It Forward and I'm a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book when I read it a little while ago, although the plot does seem to meander a little bit. It was an awesome story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Creepy cover. It sounds like a Scott Westerfeld type of book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alison~ I thought it sounded a lot like a Scott Westerfeld book as well and it was a sort of. The Uglies series is still one of my favorites though. Shari

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love hearing what you think!