Friday, December 24, 2010

Nightshade by Andrea Cremer - Reviewed

Nightshade
Author: Andrea Cremer
Release Date: October 2010
Publisher: Penguin Group
Pages: 528
Target Age: Young Adult

Summary from Barnes and Noble:
Calla Tor has always known her destiny: After graduating from the Mountain School, she'll be the mate of sexy alpha wolf Ren Laroche and fight with him, side by side, ruling their pack and guarding sacred sites for the Keepers. But when she violates her masters' laws by saving a beautiful human boy out for a hike, Calla begins to question her fate, her existence, and the very essence of the world she has known. By following her heart, she might lose everything-- including her own life. Is forbidden love worth the ultimate sacrifice?
Nightshade was recommended to me again and again.  Finally, my daughter received her very own copy and was after me to get to it, so I did.  I loved Nightshade, not quite as much as Jessica did, but I did enjoy it. 
What I liked:
The characters!  They were all written so well that you felt as if you really knew these people.  Like you went to high school with them and saw them walking in the halls and eating lunch at their tables. You know right away who you should hate and who you should fall in love with. The politics of this book were explained well and were very interesting.  I also liked this new twist on the werewolf legend.  No spoilers but there are a couple of extremely romantic couples in this book that made me sigh and smile. Even though the main characters are in a love triangle, the side characters know who they are meant to be with. However, I'm not sure they are all in for happy endings.  
What bugged me:
Sounds like I was loving this book right?  Well, I was but there was one thing that bugged me through the whole book.  It's Calla our main character.  Ugh, she is SO wishy washy.  She's hot for him, but oh I think I love him.  Her attitude to the two leading males drove me crazy.  Now in her defense I loved them both too:)  I know hypocritical of me right? Luckily I don't have to pick either one of them and potentially anger lots of fans:)  Sorry Andrea but you get the honor of breaking hearts.  
On a side note:
This has nothing to do with the content of the book but I absolutely LOVE the cover of this book.  I think it may have been my favorite cover of the year.  
So if you enjoy reading about werewolves (that are different from most), love triangles, and sweet romances, then you should definitely check out Nightshade.

1 comment:

  1. I actually kind of liked Calla. Sure she was indesisive but she had a lot on her plate. I felt that way too at first but then i kept going back to the way she was raised and tried to put myself in her place. And...i hate to admit it but i think i would have been even less desisive then she was -.-"

    Anyway i liked reading your review Shari. Apologies for the longish comment.

    I just posted my review for Nightshade the other day. I did an interview with Andrea if you wanna check it out :)

    www.blackfingernailedreviews.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love hearing what you think!