Monday, July 19, 2010

Book Review: Dead Is The New Black by Marlene Perez

Dead Is The New Black
Author: Marlene Perez
Release Date: September 2008
Pages: 208
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Target Age: Young Adult
Summary:

The grimly hilarious first installment in the creepy, campy Dead Is series.

Fans who mourn the loss of TV's Veronica Mars are in for a treat as Perez (Unexpected Development) delivers a wise-cracking, boy-lusting, determined sleuth of a high school protagonist named Daisy Giordano. Daisy comes from a crime-solving family of female psychics-Mom gets premonitions, sister Rose can listen in on people's thoughts and sister Poppy has the gift of telekinesis. To Daisy's chagrin, she's the only "normal" in the family-a nonpsychic. She doesn't let this unfortunate genetic deficiency stop her from investigating the mysterious deaths of high school girls around Nightshade, Daisy's wacky hometown, especially when sleuthing gets her face time with Ryan Mendez, Daisy's hottie crush and son of the town police chief. With a suspect cheerleading coach and an even more suspect cheerleading captain-beautiful Samantha "the Divine" Devereaux, who shows up for school pale and dragging a coffin everywhere-this quick, lighter-than-air spoof of the undead, cheerleaders and popularity is pure pleasure. Taken from Barnes and Noble

I really enjoyed Daisy and her adventure through the town of Nightshade. This book had it all; werewolves, psychics, vampires, and mystery. Daisy is determined to help her psychic mom figure out who is killing girls around town even though she has no psychic abilities of her own. She enlists the help of her long time best friend Ryan, who happens to be the police chief's son and the cutest boy in school. The characters in the book were so adorable and really had me laughing and falling in love with them. I thought I had the mystery solved pretty early on, but then the author threw in a little twist and confused me there for a bit. I hadn't really heard of this book until I received the forth book, Dead Is Just A Rumor to review. I figured I'd read them in the order written to better review the forth. I'm so glad I did. I read this in one day easily as it's a quick, fun and light read. Perfect for a summer day by the pool or beach. I hope you will pick up this book and have as much fun with it as I did. If you do be sure to stop back by and let me know what you thought.

I picked this book up from my wonderful, local library and received no compensation for writing my honest opinion.

1 comment:

  1. Have seen this book around, but for some reason it just didn't interest me. Reading your review has just changed my mind ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love hearing what you think!