Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Flash Reviews: Delirium and Clarity

Delirium by Lauren Oliver
Source: NetGalley

Summary from Goodreads:
Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love -- the deliria -- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the government demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy. 

But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love.


My Thoughts:


Truthfully, I LOVED this book. In fact it only has a little competition for the number one spot on my most loved books of 2011. At the beginning of each chapter are these quotes that show you just how hard the government is trying to brainwash the people.  Here are two...  "The most dangerous sicknesses are those that make us believe we are well" -Proverbs 42, The book of Shhh or Ex rememdium salvae. "From the cure, salvation" -Printed on all American currency. Lena starts off as this very timid girl that can't wait to get the "cure" she saw what love did to her mother and she wants no part of it. When I started reading Delirium I thought that the "cure" was just for love between a man and a woman, but no! You have to be careful about the amount of affection you can show your children as well, it's insane. Oliver's writing was believable and scary. The story line builds up and up and up and doesn't stop. Yep, there is a big fat cliff hanger waiting for you at the end, but man is the ride up to it worth it. If you are a fan of dystopia I can't imagine you not loving Delirium. 




Clarity by Kim Harrington
Source: My local library


Summary from Goodreads:
When you can see things others can't, where do you look for the truth? 
This paranormal murder mystery will have teens reading on the edge of their seats. 
Clarity "Clare" Fern sees things. Things no one else can see. Things like stolen kisses and long-buried secrets. All she has to do is touch a certain object, and the visions come to her. It's a gift. 
And a curse. 
When a teenage girl is found murdered, Clare's ex-boyfriend wants her to help solve the case - but Clare is still furious at the cheating jerk. Then Clare's brother - who has supernatural gifts of his own - becomes the prime suspect, and Clare can no longer look away. Teaming up with Gabriel, the smoldering son of the new detective, Clare must venture into the depths of fear, revenge, and lust in order to track the killer. But will her sight fail her just when she needs it most?


My Thoughts:


My two favorite parts of Clarity were Clarity herself and the town in which she lives. Clarity's character is the perfect mix of snark, vulnerability, and quirky physic detective. Harrington also did a great job of writing about the town. I wanted to go to the beach so badly after finishing Clarity. The mystery was also great, and kept me guessing until the very end. I'm not usually big on mystery novels, but I was very excited to read this one because of the paranormal aspect. I think I may have to revisit the mystery in general because I really enjoyed it. Paranormal or not I think this book would have had me glued to the pages.  I am really looking forward to reading more about Clare in Perception, due out March 1st, 2012.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I love hearing what you think!