Monday, December 12, 2011

Neurotic Thoughts on Lola and the Boy Next Door

Lola and the Boy Next Door
Author: Stephanie Perkins
Released: September 29, 2011
Genre: Young Adult Contemporary
Published by: Dutton
Source: My wonderful local library
Pages: 338
ISBN: 0525423281

Summary from Goodreads:
Budding designer Lola Nolan doesn’t believe in fashion . . . she believes in costume. The more expressive the outfit -- more sparkly, more fun, more wild -- the better. But even though Lola’s style is outrageous, she’s a devoted daughter and friend with some big plans for the future. And everything is pretty perfect (right down to her hot rocker boyfriend) until the dreaded Bell twins, Calliope and Cricket, return to the neighborhood. 

When Cricket -- a gifted inventor -- steps out from his twin sister’s shadow and back into Lola’s life, she must finally reconcile a lifetime of feelings for the boy next door.



Stephanie Perkins has done it again!  I don't know how Perkins writes in such a way that I swear I feel whatever her character is feeling (as silly as it sounds). Lola feels breathless and I can't seem to breathe. Her heart is racing and I feel like mine is too (even though it wasn't really). More than Anna, Lola and the Boy Next Door have captured my heart. 

The characters in this book are simply amazing. From Lola with her costumes, wigs, and eyelashes everyday to Max and his bad-boy tattooed self, all the way to her wonderfully amazing  dads. To top off a great cast of characters we have Cricket, possibly my favorite book boy ever! Oh wow! He is just want I would want in a boy (if I were 16 again and not married!) Sweet, thoughtful, respectful, and of course super easy on the eyes,. 

The pace of this book was perfect. I couldn't put the book down, and I don't think there was one moment that my thoughts strayed from the story. OK, yes, I realize that I am gushing but really.... I LOVED THIS BOOK! 

There is one scene where Anna mentions (yes! Anna and St. Claire are in this book) how it is so much easier to write a movie review for a movie that she doesn't like than it is to write one for a movie you love. I find this to be very true. When I love a book I have a hard time articulating what it was that made me love it, I just love it! However, when I don't like a book I have no trouble picking every apart every little thing that I didn't like. All this just to say "I LOVE THIS BOOK!" End gush. 

Obviously I highly recommend this book!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I love hearing what you think!