Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Teaser Tuesday (6/5/2012) Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein

He nearly said my name. He caught himself and stammered a little, then smoothly cried out, "MA CHERIE!" and slung me over backward in a swooning Hollywood Kiss.
We both came up for air gasping. 


Teaser from page 239 of the ARC


Summary from Goodreads:
Oct. 11th, 1943—A British spy plane crashes in Nazi-occupied France. Its pilot and passenger are best friends. One of the girls has a chance at survival. The other has lost the game before it's barely begun.

When “Verity” is arrested by the Gestapo, she's sure she doesn’t stand a chance. As a secret agent captured in enemy territory, she’s living a spy’s worst nightmare. Her Nazi interrogators give her a simple choice: reveal her mission or face a grisly execution.

As she intricately weaves her confession, Verity uncovers her past, how she became friends with the pilot Maddie, and why she left Maddie in the wrecked fuselage of their plane. On each new scrap of paper, Verity battles for her life, confronting her views on courage and failure and her desperate hope to make it home. But will trading her secrets be enough to save her from the enemy? 

Harrowing and beautifully written, Elizabeth Wein creates a visceral read of danger, resolve, and survival that shows just how far true friends will go to save each other. Code Name Verity is an outstanding novel that will stick with you long after the last page.



Published May 15, 2012 by Hyperion Books for Children

Miz B hosts Teaser Tuesday every week, check her out for the official rules.  I never seem to be able to stick to the rule about only 2 sentences.
I love reading teasers so let me know where I can view yours in the comments. Have a great day!

3 comments:

  1. This one does sound wonderful! Thanks for tempting me, and for visiting my blog.

    Love your blog...such a gorgeous header!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I devoured this book in one sitting. I barely looked up until the last page. It felt as though I hardly breathed during the last third. I kept thinking I had reached the end, and then the narrative threw another curve ball at me. I swore at this book, out loud, in both anger and awe. I re-read phrases, burning them into my brain. When I reached the end, I took half a day to process it and then began reading from the beginning again.

    Is it perfect? No - there are a few points where I have a slight suspension of disbelief problem, but they are very few and I forgive them all for letting this story unfold.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love hearing what you think!