Monday, November 29, 2010

She Smells the Dead by E.J. Stevens - Reviewed

She Smells The Dead (Spirit Guide, Book 1)
Author: E.J. Stevens
Release Date: August 2010
Publisher: Sacred Oaks Press
Pages: 184
Target Age: Young Adult
Summary: Shelfari
It's the beginning of senior year and Yuki's psychic awareness of ghostly spirits is threatening to ruin her life. Her ability to sense spirits of the dead isn't glamorous like the ghost hunting on television. SHE SMELLS THE DEAD. The smell impressions are becoming stronger. Yuki is being visited in her dreams, and she suspects that her friend Calvin is involved in something strange. To make matters worse her crush on Garrett is going unrequited, Yuki's friend Emma is on a rampage against bee oppression, and annoying Calvin Miller mysteriously disappears. Will Yuki be able to focus her powers in time to save the lost soul who is haunting her? Meanwhile, who will save Yuki from following the spirits into the light?
I'm going to do this review just a little different.  Why? Cuz I want to!
What I loved:
The characters: Yuki took me the longest to fall in love with, but I was instantly in love with Cal and Emma, her best friends.  I think Cal just might be what every young girl should wish for in a guy, well...except for that one little thing. You'll see. (you know I don't do spoilers)  Emma is amazing!  I love a girl that believes in things that go against the mainstream and trust me Emma walks the walk. Poor Yuki is so overwhelmed at times that she borders on whining occasionally. I have faith that she is going to step it up and be a wonderful heroine.  She was very believable as a character with this flaw and that had me loving her as well.
I loved that there is NO love triangle.  Now don't get me wrong, I love a good triangle as much as the next girl.  However, it's been a bit over done lately and it was refreshing to have a romance that is strong for a change.
I loved the story.  It definitely has the feel of a first book in a series, lots of set up and getting to know the world that is being created and the rules of that world.  It totally worked though.

What I didn't love:
The ending!!! UGH how could you do that to us E.J. Stevens?  I can't wait to read the next book! ( I guess that's a good thing too.)

Reading this book was fun and at the end frustrating (what a cliff hanger).  I would definitely recommend reading She Smells the Dead.  I keep telling people that if you liked Kelly Armstrong's The Darkest Powers Series then I think you would like She Smells the Dead. I'm not exactly sure why I think this.  For some reason I just thought it had that kind of feel to it.  Trust me, coming from me that is a VERY good thing.  So grab a copy of She Smells the Dead get comfortable and enjoy.  You might not be able to get up till you've finished. 
.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I love hearing what you think!