Sunday, August 11, 2013

Review: High Risk Love by Shannon Mayer


High Risk Love
Author: Shannon Mayer
Age Group: New Adult/Adult (18+ for adult situations, sexual situations and language)
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Released: July 2013

Summary From Goodreads:
Photographs.

Images. Snapshots in time.

This is how I experience my life. I’ve hidden behind my camera and viewed the world through the lens. I watch other people live their lives. I’ve given up on my dreams, and sheltered my heart from love; because both have given me nothing but pain. Even thinking about opening myself up, sends my fears into overdrive. It’s better to be safe, than to take a risk and have your life shattered into pieces alongside your heart. This is what I believed.

Dangerous.

Risks. Fear Nothing.

I live for the rush of adrenaline I get when I work my stunts. Nothing else matters but the feel of my heart pounding when I challenge the line between life and death. Women are nothing more than a distraction; they use me for my connections, as I use them to escape the pain of my past before moving on to my next adrenaline fix. My life is consumed with excitement, danger and risks—it’s all I needed.

Denials.

Fear. The complete wrong time.

Jasmin and Jet will face off over photos, stunts and the truth hidden in their hearts. The last person Jasmin wants to be with is a man who takes life for granted. Jet wants to give his heart to no one; especially one who might not understand the secrets that haunt him. Despite their protests, Jasmin’s and Jet’s lives tangle; the threads of love and fear bind them. Between their passions and their pasts, they fight to hang onto each other . . . but will the stakes be too high when faced with the ultimate sacrifice?


 


My Thoughts:

There are some books that you read and you enjoy but then after you read a few more books the book that you enjoyed is kind of forgotten. Yeah....I don't think you have to worry about that happening with this book. Jasmin and Jet's story will be with me for a good long time. Mayer was able to take the age old romance formula and make it special and unique. I'm not a writer so I'm not exactly sure how she did this but I do read a lot of romance and the ones that keep me reading long into the night and have me getting emotional right along with the characters are the ones that I remember. 

I will admit that it took me a little while to get into High Risk Love but once Jasmin starts twisting ears I was caught. The characters are tragic and the love is pretty instant (which sometimes doesn't work) but these characters get that insta love is weird and they question the way they are feeling which then makes it seem more believable. The reasons that they fight being together were real and important reasons that made sense. I love that I never felt the need to scream about what idiots these people were being while reading. There are some steamy love scenes but the best part of these are that the author didn't have these two jump right into bed instead she built up the anticipation for quite a while. 

There were the occasional editing issues but they were few and far between and the writing is so great that they were barely noticeable. The one other small issue I had was there was one moment towards the end that struck me as cheesey and it was really out of place for the characters because they weren't the cheesey type. It interrupted the flow for me just a bit because it made me stop and wonder where the hell that had come from. I feel like I'm being nitpicky just to have something to complain about though, because really I loved this story and would totally recommend it to anyone that is a fan of the romance genre. 

Teasers

"Trusting Jet was a bad idea, my brain seemed certain of it. He would hurt me; he would get hurt himself. Something bad would happen." 

"There were more women out there than I could count, and any one of them would be happy to spend a night or two in my bed. But this one, I wanted her and she didn't want me. Was that the draw? Had it been so long since I'd actually been denied that it was turning me on?"



*High Risk Love was sent to me by the author for an honest review* All reviews of the books I read whether bought, borrowed, or given are reviewed by me in all honesty. I don't intend to hurt anyone's feelings but my opinion is what it is, and I will not be swayed just because I have been given a book to review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I love hearing what you think!