Monday, May 2, 2011

The Gathering - Reviewed

The Gathering
Author: Kelley Armstrong
Released: April 12, 2011
Published by: HarperCollins
Pages: 359
Target Age: Young Adult
Source: my amazing daughter let me read her copy
Summary from Goodreads:
Sixteen-year-old Maya is just an ordinary teen in an ordinary town. Sure, she doesn't know much about her background - the only thing she really has to cling to is an odd paw-print birthmark on her hip - but she never really put much thought into who her parents were or how she ended up with her adopted parents in this tiny medical-research community on Vancouver Island.

Until now.

Strange things have been happening in this claustrophobic town - from the mountain lions that have been approaching Maya to her best friend's hidden talent for "feeling" out people and situations, to the sexy new bad boy who makes Maya feel . . . . different. Combine that with a few unexplained deaths and a mystery involving Maya's biological parents and it's easy to suspect that this town might have more than its share of skeletons in its closet.


Kelley Armstrong is back with the start to what looks like another great trilogy.  As a huge fan of Chloe and the Darkest Powers trilogy I was hoping to like The Gathering, and I wasn't disappointed. This book hooked me from the very beginning and didn't let go until... well, wait it didn't, it left me hanging.  UGH! I can't wait for the next book.
I loved the main character Maya.  She is strong, thoughtful, great with animals, and has a supernatural talent. What's not to love? She also has a great relationship with her adoptive parents which is a refreshing change for a young adult book.  I really liked everything about this book: the characters, the setting, the supernatural aspect, the possibilities for romance, and the mystery all left me wanting more. If you haven't scored a copy of The Gathering then you are really missing out on a great read.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I love hearing what you think!