Thursday, August 18, 2011

Neurotic Thoughts on Want to Go Private?

Want to Go Private?
Author: Sarah Darer Littman
Released: August 1, 2011
Genre: YA Contemporary
Pages: 336
Publisher: Scholastic Press
ISBN: 0545151465
Target Age: Young Adult but parents should definitely read too!
Source: Around the World ARC tours

Summary from Goodreads:

Abby and Luke chat online. They've never met. But they are going to. Soon.
Abby is starting high school—it should be exciting, so why doesn't she care? Everyone tells her to "make an effort," but why can't she just be herself? Abby quickly feels like she's losing a grip on her once-happy life. The only thing she cares about anymore is talking to Luke, a guy she met online, who understands. It feels dangerous and yet good to chat with Luke—he is her secret, and she's his. Then Luke asks her to meet him, and she does. But Luke isn't who he says he is. When Abby goes missing, everyone is left to put together the pieces. If they don't, they'll never see Abby again.

Usually when I rate a book a 5 it's because it's an amazing read that I just couldn't put down. It's a book that I want to shout about, and tell everyone that I know that they HAVE to read this book.  What's really weird though is giving a 5 to a book that I loved and hated all at the same time.  I loved it because the writing was powerful and gripping. I truly didn't want to put this book down because I needed to know what happened with Abby and her obsession with Luke. On the other hand, I yelled and screamed at Abby about what a freaking idiot she was and why, WHY would you talk to some guy when you've heard over and over and over again about how if you don't know that person in real life then you don't know who that person REALLY is. Abby knows this, she knows it, she even says how it's been drilled into her head. So why???

Then I would catch myself feeling sorry for Abby and those scared, confused and frustrating feelings that she was going through. I remember being 15 and it sucked and sometimes you really did just want someone to tell you that you were right and your feelings were justified and real.  Abby found that someone, only it turns out he wasn't who he said he was. This book was so powerful that it literally took my breath away at times.

However, I hate that a book like this needed to be written. I hate that I feel like I should tell everyone I know that they should read this book. I hate that there are sick people out there that really do this, and that everyone who knows a teen needs to look out for them even when they are in their own home. So now I sadly emphatically tell you all that yes, you should definitely read Want to Go Private because you need to, and because it really is an amazing book.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I love hearing what you think!