Thursday, September 29, 2011

Neurotic Thoughts on Red by Kait Nolan

Red 
Author: Kait Nolan
Released: August 14, 2011
Genre: YA Paranormal Romance
Pages: 229 according to my nook
Publisher: Kait Nolan
ISBN: 0013134159
Source: I received this book from Kait Nolan for an honest review.
Summary from Goodreads:

Every fairy tale has a dark side...

Elodie Rose has a secret. Any day, she'll become a wolf and succumb to the violence that's cursed her family for centuries. For seventeen years she's hidden who and what she is. But now someone knows the truth and is determined to exterminate her family line. Living on borrowed time in the midst of this dangerous game of hide and seek, the last thing Elodie needs to do is fall in love. But Sawyer is determined to protect her, and the brooding, angry boy is more than what he seems. Can they outsmart a madman? And if they survive, will they find a way to beat the curse for good?

 Love notes: 
  • Elodie is a strong, stubborn character. To "do the right thing" she is willing to die for those that she cares about.
  • Sawyer's character is so interesting and complex. He has this desire to protect Elodie without realizing why. 
  • The chemistry between Sawyer and Elodie is pretty instant, but the relationship takes a little while to build.
  • I really loved the slight bend on Little Red Riding Hood. Very cool without taking over the entire story line.
  • It was fun reading a story about a girl that could completely survive on her own in the wilderness if she had to.
  • Kait Nolan's fast pace and easy style of writing  is addictive. I didn't want to stop turning the pages.
  • The mystery element was wonderful. I think at one time I thought I had figured it out only to second guess myself.
  • A great book with a sweet romance and no love triangle.
  • There are a few really great emotional moments.
  • The suspense at a few points is really amazing. I was gripping my ereader so hard I'm glad I didn't crack it.  
  • The cover is really beautiful.
Random thoughts and observations:
  • Sometimes it bothered me how quick Elodie would be to think that her death was the way out of her situation.
  • Sawyer has some major mood swings! Justified, maybe, but still not one of my favorite qualities in a guy. Luckily, he learns to control his out of control anger.
  • I never really had a good feeling about Elodie's dad. He really rubbed me the wrong way.
  • Amber! Oh, what a bitch! She has absolutely no redeeming qualities. This isn't a complaint just an observation that I wanted to throw out there.
Initial Reaction:
After finishing this book my first thought was I loved this book! Next, I had to text my daughter to inform her that she MUST read this book. I have a feeling this will make it to my favorites of 2011 book list. A definite read for lovers of paranormal romance!

Readers Beware:
For parents worried about sexual scenes, they are mild and Sawyer works very hard to remain a gentleman. There is some violence there is a madman on the loose after all.





1 comment:

Thanks for stopping by. I love hearing what you think!