Saturday, August 21, 2010

Before I Was Blogging-Shiver and Linger (8/21/2010)

I've only been blogging since May, but I've been an avid reader for as long as I can remember. I was thinking about this the other day and thought it would be fun to blog about some of those books that I read before I was blogging. Since my daughter and I went to meet Maggie Stiefvater today I figured Shiver and Linger would be good choices for my very first "Before I Was Blogging."
Shiver
Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Publisher: Scholastic, Inc.Release Date: June 2010Pages: 400
Target Age: Young Adult
Summary: From Barnes & Noble

For years, Grace has watched the wolves in the woods behind her house. One yellow-eyed wolf—her wolf—is a chilling presence she can't seem to live without. Meanwhile, Sam has lived two lives: In winter, the frozen woods, the protection of the pack, and the silent company of a fearless girl. In summer, a few precious months of being human . . . until the cold makes him shift back again.

Now, Grace meets a yellow-eyed boy whose familiarity takes her breath away. It's her wolf. It has to be. But as winter nears, Sam must fight to stay human—or risk losing himself, and Grace, forever.

Linger
Author:
Maggie Stiefvater
Publisher:
Scholastic, Inc.
Release Date:
July 2010
Pages: 362
Target Age:
Young Adult
Summary: Barnes & Noble

In Maggie Stiefvater's Shiver, Grace and Sam found each other. Now, in Linger, they must fight to be together. For Grace, this means defying her parents and keeping a very dangerous secret about her own well-being. For Sam, this means grappling with his werewolf past . . . and figuring out a way to survive into the future. Add into the mix a new wolf named Cole, whose own past has the potential to destroy the whole pack. And Isabelle, who already lost her brother to the wolves . . . and is nonetheless drawn to Cole.

At turns harrowing and euphoric, Linger is a spellbinding love story that explores both sides of love - the light and the dark, the warm and the cold - in a way you will never forget.

Obviously by the double fives given on this blog post, I LOVE THEM! Maggie's writing is unlike any other that I've read. The first word that comes to mind when I think of her books is "pretty." Her writing is just so flowy and lyrical (yes I know that flowy isn't a 'real' word). I will admit that when I first started reading Shiver I wasn't sure that I was going to like it. Like I said her writing is different and it took me a little while to get into because of that. Once I got used to her style though, I was hooked. By the end of Shiver I was crying, not those pretty little tears that gently fall down your face and drip onto the page. No no! there was actual bawling noises and gross snot dripping from my nose! Sorry was that TMI? After listening to Maggie speak today I know that she will be happy to know that little bit of information. Yes, Maggie Stiefvater made me cry while I was in my bathtub reading Shiver! Feeling younger again Maggie?

Sam and Grace are two of the most adorable people on the planet. That should make me nauseated right? Somehow they are written in such a way that you can't help but love them. Isabel is just the right amount of screwed up and Grace's best friends, Olivia and Rachel are the kind of friends every teenage girl should have. Okay, I have to stop myself at this point because I don't want to give anything away and if I don't stop now I'll end up telling you everything. If you love tragic romance and perfect couples that make you smile then you have to rush out and grab your copy of Shiver and Linger.

Like I said I went with my daughter Jessica today to meet Maggie and we had a great time. I didn't remember to take pictures this time though so I will have to share a picture that was taken on July 20th down in Williamsburg when we went for the launch party of Linger.

Here is Jessica from Shut Up! I'm Reading otherwise known as my daughter, with Maggie. (I don't do pictures so that's why I'm showing Jessica.) Jessica is quite a bit taller than Maggie that's why she looks all stooped over! We also went to visit the candy store in Williamsburg that Maggie tells us was her inspiration for the candy store in Shiver. It did indeed smell heavenly. Thanks Maggie for not only some wonderful reads but also for being the reason that my girl and I have a few more awesome memories to look back on. End sappy blog post!


2 comments:

  1. Wonderful reviews, Sheri. Now I must add them to my TBR pile, which keeps growing...sigh. I wish there were 48 hrs in a day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, so awesome that you guys got to meet Maggie :) I adored Shiver and have yet to read Linger but now I'm even more excited about Linger after reading your post :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love hearing what you think!