Monday, August 23, 2010

Book Review: Earth Is Not Alone by John Knapp II

Earth Is Not Alone Author: John Knapp II
Publisher: Ephemeron Press
Release Date: April 2009
Pages: 500
Target Age: Young Adult
Summary: From Barnes & Noble
After a terrible tragedy, a parent-teacher-student confrontation leads to the discovery of two new worlds.
This occurs in the "Susquehanna Territory" in northeastern PA in a future time in the 21st century when EMP has mysteriously destroyed all electrical power--presumably worldwide. To survive, with circumstances much better in a rural area, a "wall" has been built to keep away outsiders as mayhem occurs everywhere.There's a strong suspicion of some encounter with another world. Atheistic honor vies against Christian honor in the P-T-S confrontation, and the role Christian faith plays, and the "missionary" responsibility (if any is appropriate) has to be carefully considered. Curious old stories must be investigated and set alongside the Bible. Several young romances occur, and life-and-death decisions can't be avoided. The possibility of a one-way trip to another world looms. If you could go, would you? And what would you say? What would you do? Such affect the choices that two high school seniors must make.

My Opinion: This book wasn't at all what I expected and about 100 pages in I was very confused and I have to admit frustrated. I felt like the same thing was discussed over and over, but I was no closer to realizing what the heck was going on. Then I discovered that this book wasn't at all what I thought it was going to be. I was expecting more of a dystopia about life on Earth after an EMP knocks out all modern day technology. That's not what this book is though. Earth Is Not Alone leans more to the Science Fiction/Christian genre and I have to admit it didn't really work for me. I didn't feel connected to the characters and found that the further I got into the story the more I just didn't care. I really wanted to like this book and have seen other reviewers that loved it.

I received this book from The Cadence Group for my honest review.
I would love to pass this book on to someone that loves Science Fiction and thinks that the description sounds like something they would enjoy. So the first person to email me that they would like to read Earth Is Not Alone I would love to send it to you (shipping on me of course). I would also love it if you would review it and let me know what you thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I love hearing what you think!